Have you ever tried a Philly Cheese Steak Egg Roll? These little guys are amazing. I first tried these at a Chinese food place actually and have been addicted ever since. I love the fact that with this recipe you can either fry these or bake them. I usually tend to bake them. But the option is up to you.
These Philly Cheese Steak Egg Rolls are made with thinly sliced marinated steak, bell peppers, mushrooms and jalapenos smothered with cheese then fried (or baked) to melty, cheesy perfection in a crunchy egg roll cocoon.
Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
Credit: Jenn @CarlsBadCravings.com
- 12-14 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg whisked with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 quart canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- Steak Marinade
- 1 pound top sirloin or flank steak, thinly sliced across the grain
- 1/3 cup zesty Italian Dressing
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1/4-1/2 of red pepper flakes
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1-2 jalapenos, deveined, seeded and sliced
- 2 cups Mexican blend or Pepper Jack cheese or more to taste
- Marinate steak with steak marinade ingredients for 1 hour up to overnight.
- Heat a large skillet on high heat until very hot. Add steak/onions/marinade and let cook on one side without disturbing, then proceed to cook until meat is cooked through. Transfer meat and onions to a fine hole strainer/sieve and remove any excess liquid by pressing down on the meat mixture. Set aside.
- Wipe out skillet and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Heat over medium high heat then add mushrooms. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until golden. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Heat another tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat and add green pepper and jalapeno. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add green peppers, jalapenos, mushrooms and steak/onions to a food processor and pulse a few times until roughly chopped. Alternatively, you can chop by hand.
- Position an egg roll wrapper with one point towards you. Line the center with 2 tablespoons cheese* and top with ¼ cup steak mixture. Fold bottom corner over filling then continue to roll up, firmly folding sides toward center over filling as you roll. Seal edges with egg wash. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. (Refer to your egg roll wrapper for a diagram).
- To fry (recommended for extra crispiness): Heat oil in a stock pot or deep-fat fryer to 350F degrees or medium high heat. Fry egg rolls, in batches, 3- 4 at a time until golden brown, turning egg rolls a few times while frying. Drain on paper towels.
- To bake: Lightly spray a baking rack and place it onto a baking sheet. Line egg rolls on baking rack and lightly spray with cooking spray. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden at 425F degrees.
- Serve with your favorite cheese sauce, chili sauce or barbecue sauce with hot sauce to taste.