Being that we are from New York we love a good crumb cake. This caramel apple breakfast crumb cake is perfect for the fall season. The caramel glaze is so delicious.
I love the smell of apple and caramel when baking at this time of the year. It is just super comforting. And this is such a great cake to serve for a Sunday Brunch.
Caramel Apple Breakfast Crumb Cake
Credit: Chef In Training
- ½ cup flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped green apples
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 8 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar and cinnamon and stir until well mixed. Cut in butter until crumbs are formed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add milk and eggs and beat again. Add flour, baking powder and salt and stir until just combined. Batter will be thick. Fold in apples.
- Spread ½ of the batter on the bottom of baking dish.
- Layer ½ of the crumb topping over batter.
- Carefully spread the rest of the batter over the top of crumb topping.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumb topping over the top of the coffee cake.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 400 degrees F until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Drizzle frosting over the top.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add heavy cream and brown sugar and stir until it begins to boil. Remove form heat and add in 1 cup powdered sugar. Cool slightly and add vanilla and remaining cup of powdered sugar. Add in milk if needed to thin frosting or more powdered sugar to thicken.