With Thanksgiving FAST approaching I wanted to share this awesome side dish that I serve at my Thanksgiving dinner. I love Candied Sweet Potatoes. These Candied Sweet Potatoes are so yummy.
I am not normally a big sweet potato fan but at Thanksgiving I do love these Candied Sweet Potatoes, I must tell you. It just isn’t Thanksgiving in our house with out these on your plate. I hope you enjoy these this holiday season.
Southern Candied Sweet Potatoes
- 2 cups white sugar (you may substitute brown sugar here)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 6 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 TBS. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Note: I prefer to use brown sugar on this recipe but the option is up to you on which sugar you prefer.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add sweet potatoes, and stir to coat. Sprinkle sugar mixture over the sweet potatoes, and stir. Cover skillet, and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour, or until the sauce is dark and the potatoes are candied. They should be tender, but a little hard around the edges.
- Stir in vanilla, and serve.